Ankle injuries usually account for around 20% of all sport-related injuries, according to Roald Bahr, a famous researcher of sports medicine based in Norway. Soccer involves putting a lot of pressure on your ankle.
You will not only be running around for approximately 90 minutes, but you will also be locking your ankles in place to help you shoot and also pass the ball. Moreover, you are prone to hurt your ankle in tackles especially when you are playing with a clumsy opposition.
An ankle complication is a pretty common injury while playing soccer. It can lead to great pain which can slow you down on your routine. It has a great impact when it comes to your soccer career as well.
During the treatment of your ankle, your physician will recommend you to put on high-quality ankle braces regularly as you play. So, here are the top 5 ankle braces that will protect your ankle when playing and also give you quick recovery to your joint if you’re already injured. These braces are also ideal for other types of sports as well.
Zensah Compression Ankle Brace
- Targeted - compression provides advanced ankle support without restricting motion
- Breathable & light - made of innovative Zensah fabric that it is lightweight, breathable, and moisture wicking
- 3D geo Tech ribbing & compression - textured ribbing for active relief of arch and heel pain and compression helps increase circulation and reduce ankle swelling
- Seamless & flat cuff - minimizes discomfort or chafing caused by seams or bumps in the fabric
- Anti-odor - Zensah fabric offers a stink-free experience
If you are recovering from a minor sprain or you suffer from occasional ankle rolling, you should avoid a rigid ankle brace. This product from Zensah looks just like an ordinary sock, but this sleeve brace is made of a stiffer fabric which provides excellent support when turning and running.
It does not provide the same level of stability like a bulkier ankle brace, but it works pretty well for players with less severe strains and less injury-prone individuals.
The compression structure of the brace is built to hold your ankles in place and improve circulation, which might aid in reducing any swelling. The 3D Geo Tech Ribbing Technology in the material also minimizes heel discomfort and ankle pain in-game.
Ankle support and comfort
The best thing about this ankle brace is the level of comfort it offers inside your cleats. Because it is a low-profile sleeve, it is pretty easy to put on your soccer shoes when wearing it. You can forget you are even wearing an ankle brace while you are on the pitch.
Since the sleeve has no seams, you will not experience any form of rubbing inside the cleat. However, it’s crucial to get the correct size, because it’s not an adjustable item.
- Good overall support.
- Extremely comfortable.
- Easy to clean.
- Awesome value.
- It doesn’t offer as much support like a full-size brace.
Mueller XLP Ankle Brace
- Rigid plastic stays help support both sides of the ankle
- The XLP ankle brace fits comfortably inside shoes
- Made from latex free materials
- Sizing is determined by your standard shoe size
Mueller company has taken a different method to what other rigid brace manufacturers are doing. Rather than including laces and straps, the brand has only incorporated laces without any straps.
They have also gone for an incredibly shorter design that focuses on protecting the heel or ankle area instead of stretching out the braces into the forefoot. Due to this, you will be able to use this lace-up stabilizer together with almost any soccer cleat.
To supplement the absence of straps, Mueller has added two hard plastic supports on both sides of the ankle to avoid rolling and to safeguard you in the tackles.
The front is designed with elastic, and this allows you to run more comfortably and gives you the full range of movement needed to control the soccer ball, pass to your colleagues, and make tackles. As a result, you will be able to focus on your game with any worries of reinjuring your ankle as you play.
The material used in this ankle brace is not only incredibly breathable, but it’s also treated with some antimicrobial agents to reduce odors and prevent bacteria buildup.
However, you should use it in conjunction with a sock beneath, so when making your purchase, you should consider whether you want ankle brace that is on direct contact with your ankles or not.
- Usable with almost any cleat.
- Perfect stability and support.
- Reasonably priced.
- Good durability.
- No cons
Gonicc Ankle Brace
When you are looking for a brace, you might be unsure whether to go for a brace or sleeve with laces and straps. You might be looking for the best support you can get but might get concerned about whether or not a bulky ankle brace will fit inside your cleat. Luckily there’s a way you can have the best of both worlds.
Design and ankle support
The Gonicc’s brace is quite similar to the Zensah’s brace. It has a sleeve beneath, which means it’s relatively breathable and easy to put on, and can easily fit inside your cleats.
Nevertheless, this sleeve comes with a durable strap as well, which assists in reinforcing the main ankle brace and providing better stability. Since there are only two pieces of this product, and its strap is thin, it is easy to get your soccer cleats on when you are wearing it.
You will have to put the strap on your leg every time, but it’s a relatively simple process. Moreover, the package also includes two braces and two straps to help you support your ankles without the need to purchase two sets of ankle braces.
- Reasonably priced.
- Low-profile fit.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Great support.
- No con to mention, this is a fantastic brace for the price.
McDavid Ankle Brace
- PREVENTS and helps RECOVER from common ankle sprains
- SUPPORTIVE "U" shape FLEXIBLE steel side stays provides stability
- BREATHABLE two-layer polyester/vinyl mesh and liner
- VENTILATED tongue breathes with you
- Fits left or right
McDavid company is one of the several professional sport protective gear brands that offer ankle braces in their product range.
This ankle brace is incredibly slim for a stabilizer that comes with straps and laces. In spite of this, it will still be a challenge to get a tight-fitting cleat on when you are wearing it.
Nevertheless, the McDavid company supplements all this with the level of comfort and support their product provides.
Design and Ankle support
The McDavid stabilizer is made of a padded polyester fabric often designed to fit cozily, making it easy to offer great stability and will last you a long time as well. Its straps are designed to emulate athletic tape, and the figure-six layout will keep your ankles upright even on rough pitches.
Moreover, the tongue of this brace has been built with ventilation in mind to help your feet to breathe and also minimize sweat levels. Although the build quality and support of this stabilizer are good, when playing soccer, it can feel relatively bulky.
- Good durability.
- Very stable.
- Comfortable and breathable.
- Moderately bulky, and this can be a problem on tight cleats.
MEDIZED Ankle Brace
- KEY BENEFITS: Effective in prevention of Ankle injuries and distortion, Effective support and treatment for post Ankle injuries, Effective in chronic ankle instability, Prophylactic and therapeutic use in sport activities, and Suitable to use in any sports activities where there is constant ankle movement.
- ANKLE PROTECTION / REHABILITATION / MOBILIZATION: Recommended for ankle injury rehabilitation/mobilization from sprains and strains. The brace is widely used for prophylactic use. It support for chronically weak ankles. The ankle brace provides compression and comfort to a soft ankle with significant higher protection than traditional stirrups.
- INNOVATIVE DESIGN: The brace is designed with 2 straps that forms figure 8 to protect and support ankle, This ankle stabilizer brace fits comfortably into normal athletic or street shoe and its non-stretch stabilizing straps mirror the stirrup technique of an athletic taping procedure. This is highly effective lace up ankle brace straps that replicate ankle taping, securely locking the heel in place.
- SIZE GUIDE (US Shoe Standard): Suitable to any foot (Left OR Right). SMALL (MEN 5 to 7 and WOMEN 5 to 7.5), MEDIUM (MEN 7.5 to 8 and WOMEN 8 to 8.5), LARGE (MEN 8.5 to 11 and WOMEN 9 to 12)
This ankle brace offers a more traditional alternative, as you secure it in position with two separate straps and laces. As a result, the MEDIZED Ankle Brace is most likely one of the safest ankle braces on the market.
The double figure-eight straps and laces allow for a completely adjustable fit, which means you can have the ankle brace as loose or as tight as you want it. If you decide to have it relatively tight, the support you will get is excellent, because of the strong stabilizing parts fitted on both sides of the stabilizer.
For protection against more injuries and pain relief, this is a wonderful option. The breathable mesh material and the ideal price make it even better.
Just like many other semi-rigid braces, the MEDIZED Ankle Brace can be quite difficult to put on your cleat when wearing the brace. Again, if you have tight cleats, you might experience some problems.
It is almost always worth sacrificing a little comfort for better ankle support, especially if you are injury-prone, but for some people, a sleeve-style brace will not work for them.
Apart from fitting problems, the only drawback to this item is lack of guidelines. However, it’s relatively easy to know how to do your straps, although having a manual would be beneficial.
- Excellent support.
- Incredibly breathable.
- Reasonably priced.
- No instructions included.
- Can feel uncomfortable when wearing tight-fitting cleats.
If you are a soccer player, you should look for ankle support that balances the need to prevent ankle re-injury with the demand of the sport for remarkably fluid movements.
Ankle braces can assist you in recovering from ankle injuries while reducing pain when you are playing on a strained or sprained ankle. These stabilizers also prevent further ankle injury from happening for those who are susceptible to twisted ankles.
If you get slide tackled badly or stepped in a big pothole, an ankle brace cannot save you all the time. However, they are incredibly beneficial for preventing and recovery of sprains.
Purchasing a soccer ankle brace is not precisely the same as purchasing an ankle brace for walking or running. The first thing you should consider is how comfortably the ankle brace will fit in your soccer shoes.
A soccer cleat should be worn reasonably tight to enhance your feel for the soccer ball and avoid blisters. Therefore, buying a heavy ankle brace may feel quite uncomfortable.
However, you have to be sure that the stabilizers you buy provide adequate protection. If you want to select a reasonably low-profile brace to fit in your cleats, it should also be pretty strong to support your ankle appropriately.
If you are looking for ankle braces for your soccer game, the above-listed braces are the best options in the market, and they will provide firm support without hindering circulation.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.