After heading to the United States last week to seek medical treatment, Liverpool forward Daniel Sturridge declares his surgery a success.
The 25-year old forward headed to the US during the end of April to seek the help of orthopaedic surgeon Dr. Peter Asnis to deal with the hip injury that he sustained last March during Liverpool’s match against Manchester United. The torn hip muscle caused him to miss out on the Blues’ succeeding games.
Asnis, who works with Liverpool’s brother team the Boston Red Sox under the Fenway Sports Group, recommended that Sturridge undergo a surgery to repair his hip muscle. The forward went under the knife on Tuesday.
He posted a picture of himself recovering in a hospital on his official Twitter account, with the caption “Onwards and upwards from here. Thanks for the support. Daniel x” and went on to to also thank the other people who has supported him.
Sturridge has made only seven Premier League starts this season due to four injury spells. He first suffered a thigh strain during a training session with the English national team in September. This was unfortunately followed by a calf injury in the following month when he was about to make a comeback. He was once again hounded by a thigh injury in November, which further stalled his return. He was only able to get back to active play at the end of January.
Liverpool team manager Brendan Rodgers has earlier said that the team will be providing Sturridge with a new fitness program that will hopefully solve his injury problems and get him back to full playing form.
However, Rodgers is also expected to be looking for forward this summer, who can serve as Sturridge’s replacement should he not be able to return. Lile’s Divock Origi is said to be one of those that the Reds’ boss is eyeing.