Asmir Begovic will only leave Chelsea during the transfer window if the club manage to find a replacement before the transfer window closes next week, according to manager Antonio Conte.
Conte’s comments came as Scottish club Celtic announced that Chelsea had made a bid for their shot-stopper Craig Gordan. It is well know that Begovic (29) is growing tired at the lack of first team appearances he is being offered at Chelsea and he is reportedly keen to move to Bournemouth who have reportedly made an offer of £10 million for the player. He also has a good chance of gaining regular first team action should he join Bournemouth as veteran Artur Boruc has not been particularly impressive and at 37, the club will know that he is past his prime and look for a replacement.
Conte confirmed on Friday that Begovic will start in Chelsea’s FA Cup fourth round tie at home against London rivals Brentford with first choice Courtois set to be rested.
Begovic has made just four appearances for Chelsea this season. He joined in 2015 on a four year deal after the long-serving Petr Cech departed to Arsenal.
According to reports , Chelsea offered £3 million for the services of Gordan, however manager Rodgers said that the figure will not convince him to sell Gordan who has experience in the Premier League, having made 88 League appearances for Sunderland between 2007-2012.
The Celtic manager also said that he hoped Gordan would stay loyal to Celtic after the club helped him revive his career when former manager Ronny Della signed him in 2014 after he had been out of action for two years with a knee injury.
It remains to be seen whether Chelsea will be able to lure Gordan. If they do not, the likely scenario is that Begovic will have to remain at Stamford Bridge until the summer.